We’ve talked before about the ALTA 13.1-06 Leasehold Endorsement. In this article, we are going to go through some additional items of loss covered by the ALTA 13.1-06 Leasehold Endorsement
Additional Items of Loss
If the Insured acquires all or any part of the Title in accordance with the provisions of Section 2 of the Conditions of this policy and thereafter is Evicted, the following items of loss, if applicable to that portion of the Land from which the Insured is Evicted shall be included, without duplication, in computing loss or damage incurred by the Insured, but not to the extent that the same are included in the valuation of the Title determined pursuant to Section 2 of this endorsement, any other endorsement to the policy, or Section 8(a)(iii) of the Conditions:
- The reasonable cost of (i) removing and relocating any Personal Property that the Insured has the right to remove and relocate, situated on the Land at the time of Eviction, (ii) transportation of that Personal Property for the initial one hundred miles incurred in connection with the relocation, (iii) repairing the Personal Property damaged by reason of the removal and relocation, and (iv) restoring the Land to the extent damaged as a result of the removal and relocation of the Personal Property and required of the Insured solely because of the Eviction.
- Rent or damages for use and occupancy of the Land prior to the Eviction that the Insured as owner of the Leasehold Estate may be obligated to pay to any person having paramount title to that of the lessor in the Lease.
- The amount of rent that, by the terms of the Lease, the Insured must continue to pay to the lessor after Eviction with respect to the portion of the Leasehold Estate and Tenant Leasehold Improvements from which the Insured has been Evicted.
- The fair market value, at the time of the Eviction, of the estate or interest of the Insured in any lease or sublease permitted by the Lease and made by the Tenant as lessor of all or part of the Leasehold Estate or the Tenant Leasehold Improvements.
- Damages caused by the Eviction that the Insured is obligated to pay to lessees or sublessees on account of the breach of any lease or sublease permitted by the Lease and made by the Tenant as lessor of all or part of the Leasehold Estate or the Tenant Leasehold Improvements.
- The reasonable cost to obtain land use, zoning, building and occupancy permits, architectural and engineering services and environmental testing and reviews for a replacement leasehold reasonably equivalent to the Leasehold Estate.
- If Tenant Leasehold Improvements are not substantially completed at the time of Eviction, the actual cost incurred by the Insured, less the salvage value, for the Tenant Leasehold Improvements up to the time of Eviction. Those costs include costs incurred to obtain land use, zoning, building and occupancy permits, architectural and engineering services, construction management services, environmental testing and reviews, and landscaping.
- This endorsement does not insure against loss, damage or costs of remediation (and the Company will not pay costs, attorneys’ fees or expenses) resulting from environmental damage or contamination.
This endorsement is issued as part of the policy. Except as it expressly states, it does not (i) modify any of the terms and provisions of the policy, (ii) modify any prior endorsements, (iii) extend the Date of Policy, or (iv) increase the Amount of Insurance. To the extent a provision of the policy or a previous endorsement is inconsistent with an express provision of this endorsement, this endorsement controls. Otherwise, this endorsement is subject to all of the terms and provisions of the policy and of any prior endorsements.